In a nutshell:
The Digital and Technology division is currently undertaking radical transformation and will deliver an increasingly ambitious change programme. Architecture and Strategy are at the heart of this both to define the technical strategy, and also define the technical and architectural portfolio of change on a rolling 5 year look ahead, providing a division-wide control and monitoring function to the wider leadership team.
The Chief Architect will lead a team of architects to oversee the development and implementation of new technologies, own the technical roadmap, align technical vision with business strategy and integrate and enable complex process through technical means.
This role is responsible for the development and governance of the Architecture and Technical Strategy of D&T and ultimately responsible for ensuring that the spend on technology is appropriate and cost effective. The role is not accountable for that spend.
The Chief Architect will influence spend of circa £140 million capital in year in setting the technical agenda for financial spend. Directly accountable for spend of a further circa £2m (colleague costs).
What I need to do
- Own the technology strategy for Sainsbury’s, ensuring appropriate input and producing the key Strategy statements and the process for their creation, maintenance and dissemination
- Own the architectural vision for Sainsbury’s D&T, ensuring appropriate input and producing the key Strategy statements and the process for their creation, maintenance and dissemination
- Lead the technical agenda for the organisation, responsible for the governance of key technology decisions, technical architecture decisions and setting of standards.
- Communicate complex technical information and inform the priority of spend, based on technical input and related risk vs. conflicting business priority.
- Work closely with Innovation Manager, ensuring that the organisation is able to make effective use of emerging and new technologies and solutions.
- Document the enterprise architecture, including applications, services, infrastructure and data, maintaining a set of blueprints and standards which support product production and delivery.
- Provide architecture expertise & guidance to the Heads-of-technology, advising on possible solution sets and opportunities to increase product capability.
- Provide architecture expertise & guidance to the product families to ensure products are produced which adhere to a set of architecture guidelines.
How I will succeed
- Collaborate closely with the business to align technology strategy with the business strategy
- High quality Architecture support to the division
- Identification of issues, flagging concerns early and making recommendations for resolution
- Balance the drive to change and deliver with risk and
- Manage & build relationships with current and strategic suppliers.
- Ensure and critically inspect the robustness and suitability of technical solutions
- Bridge the gap between technical domains, delivery and product organisations, providing an objective view as to the technology options open to the organisation
- Build knowledge and expertise within the team and broader technical community, staying at the forefront of solutions, innovation and technical capability
- Sell a vision of the future, balance the short term needs and business demands with the longer term strategy.
What I need to know
- Have detailed technical knowledge spanning enterprise technologies and systems, and modern development and DevOps toolsets, maintain knowledge on innovative, cutting-edge and emerging technology trends and solutions
- How to build and execute an IT strategy, maintaining a roadmap of change and being able to adapt to market and technical change
- Experience managing a complex programme, assimilating large amounts of highly complex information, often technical in nature, and engaging with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to interact with and influence senior stakeholders
- Have a thorough understanding of cross functional projects and related programme management and development disciplines or methodologies
- Comprehensive understanding of a retail IT landscape; knowledge of the processes, applications, technology and data requirements and complexities of such a business.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to work well within a senior team, supporting and advising senior leaders
- Great people management skills
What I need to show
We are trusting each other, working together:
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills coupled with the ability to build strong and lasting relationship with senior stakeholders across the division
- Strong advocacy skills for the importance of the architecture and programme management selling the benefits to both more senior and more junior colleagues
- The ability to train and upskill others in the organisation in technical and non-technical skills
We are making it happen:
- Critical thinking and reasoning, being able to break down highly complex technical problems into component parts
- Deep technical knowledge and confidence in decomposing complex problems into component parts
- Comfortably working independently and with ambiguity in daily routine
- Exceptional influencing skills with senior stakeholders several organisational levels above the job holder
- Confident in questioning the validity of information and in offering ideas and solutions
- Self-starter, strong initiative and commitment
We are making it simpler:
- A results-driven change agent; never satisfied with the status quo and constantly looking to make things happen
Resources available to me
- Direct spend of circa £1m
- The architecture team consists of up to 10 multi-disciplinary architects, and third party resources.
What decisions I can make
- Responsible for the governance of key technology decisions, technical architecture decisions and setting of standards.
- Lead the technical agenda for the organisation, responsible for the governance of key technology decisions, technical architecture decisions & roadmap, and setting of standards.
- Responsible for recommending decisions that are required to ensure successful delivery of the change programme
- Defines the Technology Strategy
- Selection of, and making available technology options to delivery function and product owners