This role could be based in MediaCityUK (Salford) or Milton Keynes.
The DevOps Engineer role is a key member of the DevOps team, working closely with Architecture, Operations and software engineering teams, the main purpose is to improve the deployment and release cycle, using automation and orchestration tools to ensure the environments and platform are resilient, standardized and secure. Management of a host of DevOps toolsets is key as well as being forward thinking, utilizing DevOps best practice to assist our software delivery process.
Reporting Lines and Key Relationships
The role reports to Head of Architecture and DevOps
In line with the SIS Values, the main responsibilities of the DevOps Engineer are set out below.
- Work with the Infrastructure Manager to continuously progress and promote the use of DevOps at SIS supporting our in-house Java and .net software teams
- Deliver solutions to reduce the amount of unplanned work and downtime (break / Fix) for environments managed by the DevOps team
- Ownership of all the non-production Platform’s, managing availability, supporting the functional and non-function testing of changes through into Production
- Ownership and management of automated server deployment methods Redhat / CentOS / Debian
- Implement new tooling to aid the DevOps process for inventory and log management including responsibility of existing toolsets
- Support Production, QA, UAT and development release cycle through best practice automation and scripting
- Create and maintain development / staging environments, providing support of developed products ensuring repeatable tasks are automated.
- Undertaking of infrastructure / DevOps changes within agreed timescales, out of production hours in line with the SIS Change Management Process when necessary
- Take an active role in project work for application, storage and server migrations deployed on instances managed by DevOps team
- Collaborate with Development, Architecture and IT Support teams on roadmap for Log aggregation, monitoring metrics and cloud services.
- Motivates others to achieve goals, acts as a positive role model for others
- Displays positive attitudes and behaviours at all times
- Is proud to represent our brand and culture, and promotes our values
- Develops and builds effective relationships with customers and colleagues alike
- Provides high quality and timely delivery of duties.
- Strives to support and maintain a harmonious workplace
- Identifies new ideas and processes.
- Is committed to continuous personal development.
- Seeks out opportunities to improve own, divisional and team performance
- Ensures that the best interests of SIS are upheld at all times.
- Operates within the legal and regulatory framework.
- Upholds and promotes the Company’s values at all times
Skills and Experience
- Degree/HND in Computer Science/ IT/ Software Development
- Demonstrable experience of working in high-availability environments
- Shell / Python scripting, Administration, Builds
- Red Hat Linux Enterprise 6.5 / 7
- Azure ARM Templates
- Jenkins / Octopus Deploy
- Familiarity with Java development – web applications and Tomcat (version 8)
- Rundeck Runbook Automation
- Configuration and Orchestration management ( Puppet / Chef / Ansible )
- Hazelcast In Memory Datagrid
- Vmware vSphere 6.0 Exposure
- Automated Provisioning via scripting and playbooks
- Hybrid Cloud services; Azure / AWS
- Basic Knowledge of Networking
- ITIL Framework; Change Management
- Microsoft 365 / Project / SharePoint Online
- Agile or Prince 2 Frameworks
- SolarWinds Monitoring