People / HR Advisor
An opportunity has arisen within our growing organisation for a People (HR) Advisor on a 12 month fixed term basis to provide maternity cover. The main scope of the role is to support the People Business Partner and People Director to deliver a robust, credible and highly effective People function – through building strong relationships, maintaining excellent people processes and leading on engagement and development activities for the business.
If you’re passionate about Diversity and Inclusion, are a champion for change and can ‘hit the ground running’ with resilience and energy, we’d love to hear from you.
Somerset Passenger Solutions was formed to serve the passenger transport needs of the largest construction project in Europe – Hinkley Point C. We transport thousands of clients to and from the site every day, working 24/7 to ensure that construction remains on schedule. We are first and foremost a people business with our colleagues and clients at the heart of everything we do. We bring together an exceptional mix of people to provide specialist passenger transport solutions and are dedicated to delivering excellence.
Key Tasks include:
- Ensuring all managers are trained on the relevant HR policies and processes and relevant refresher training is continued throughout their employment.
- Supporting and advising both Managers and Supervisors on People processes such as investigations, disciplinaries and grievances. Providing excellent HR support, guidance and advice to colleagues and managers alike.
- Establishing strong working relationships throughout the business to ensure robust and credible delivery of the HR function in line with the needs of the business and project.
- Managing short and long-term absences, aiming to reduce sickness absence costs and days.
- Designing new documentation and revamping existing documentation to make it current and attractive, within the company branding and standards.
- Supporting the Talent Management programme across the business to ensure succession and development plans are in place.
- Ensuring all ER cases are managed in an effective and timely manner, through the weekly ER meeting.
- Consistently reviewing policies and colleague handbooks, highlighting changes and amendments required to the People Business Partner.
- Ensuring GDPR processes are robust within the HR team and regular learning opportunities are in place.
- Running development and training workshops for the management team and developing colleagues.
- Planning and carrying out inductions.
- Living, championing and demonstrating the Company and Project Values at all times.
- Knowledge of HR IT systems (Access is our HR and LMS)
- ER Case management and Employment Law knowledge
- Extensive generalist HR experience
- Good understanding of IT systems including Microsoft and Excel
- Ability to work in a very fast paced environment
- Ability to establish professional credibility across the business very quickly through behaviours and actions
- Experience of dealing with Trade Unions
- CIPD level 3 or 5
- Apprenticeship programme, levy and associated knowledge
- Driving licence
- Knowledge of transport sector
- MHFA or equivalent experience
Summary of Key Personal Attributes:
- a can-do attitude, with a positive approach to achieving results and outcomes through problem-solving and balance
- ability to build rapport quickly with people across all areas of the business and project – from the client, to trade unions and internal stakeholders
- excellent leadership skills with the ability to coach, mentor and empower your team and colleagues
- level-headed, calm, balanced and can approach problems or challenges in a way which builds trust
Summary of benefits:
- Pension – 5% contributory pension matched by us
- Discount scheme for national retailers
- Free bus travel & significantly reduced rail travel for you and family members
- Life assurance
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted gym membership
- Annual pay review linked to retail price index
- Health benefits
Please note - All employees must be willing to undergo Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) and obtain a DBS certificate. This standard is designed to provide a level of assurance as to the honesty, integrity and values of individuals who are required to work at a Nuclear Licenced Site, or who may have access to sensitive nuclear information.
Somerset Passenger Solutions welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.