Let’s guess…when you were 8 and someone asked “what do you want to be when you grow up?” your response didn’t include the phrase “managing director of a bus company”!
Forget about what you wanted to be then - this is about your career now. You still may not have uttered the phrase “bus company”, but you’ll almost certainly have been talking about all things “Managing Director” for a while!
That may be because you’re an existing MD and are open to a new opportunity, or a Director / Senior Manager looking for your first step into this kind of role. Either way you’ll have a passion and ability to provide trusted and inclusive leadership to deliver profitable growth to our business.
Speaking of the business, let’s tell you about it…
Stagecoach East provides 39.5 million passenger journeys every year, employing over 1,000 colleagues and operating over 400 vehicles in depots at Cambridge, Bedford, Fenstanton and Peterborough. Not only are we a highly successful business, we’re also an integral part of the communities which we serve, connecting people through the operation over 20 million miles of routes across Cambridgeshire and Bedford in 2017.
You’ll be of the ’together from the front’ mentality to succeed in this role, and will want to take this opportunity to make your mark on not only the East business, but the wider Stagecoach UK Bus business - a £1.25 billion turnover, 25,000 employee business backed by the FTSE250 Stagecoach Group.
And you’ll definitely not be locked away in an office every day. Visible leadership is crucial to the success of this role - plus it will give you an incredible exposure to a business set to deliver on a performance improvement agenda. If you’re looking for CV building / career making opportunities, you’d be hard-pushed to find anything better!
So “what will I have the opportunity to do” we hear you ask!
Ultimately the business wants to provide real customer-focused services that deliver a safe, reliable, high standard travel experience at a fair and reasonable price. To do this you’ll be given the autonomy to:
- Develop the medium and long-term strategy for Stagecoach East, improving commercial viability and profit through customer propositions
- Establish the business’s position as a recognised market leader in both change and innovation
- Take the initiative in developing new business opportunities
- Work with the Stagecoach Bus executive leadership team to develop key measures to deliver an exceptional performance
- Foster a developmental culture, encouraging colleagues to take ownership for enhancing knowledge and capability
- Network, lobby and manage key stakeholder groups
For us, it’s not important what career background you come from - we recruit for behaviours, not for whether you’ve worked for a competitor bus operator or not (although we’re not putting off if you have I hasten to add!). And no... before you ask, you don’t have to be able to drive a bus (although we will teach you if you’d like)!
If you’re interested in this role we do need some specific experience:
- You’ll need to be comfortable operating at executive level
- We look for individuals with experience of leading a large operating function, managing complex budgets
- You’ll be able to demonstrate evidence of managing change, developing stakeholder relationships, and seeking commercial opportunity
And that’s about it!
So if you’re now sat there wondering why you didn’t say “bus company managing director” when you were young... dust off the CV and email it through to Mark Threapleton, UK Managing Director, by 25th November 2018 via Emily.Abbott@stagecoachbus.com.
Likewise, if you’d like to have an informal and confidential conversation with Mark before sending over your CV, please drop Emily an email to arrange a good time for you both to pencil in a call.