Senior Platform Engineer
As a Senior Platform Engineer you will be the most senior member of the team and expected to technically lead a team of Platform Engineers which will include mentoring other engineers.
You will also help design and API services based on a broad set of data platforms that span Content, Subscriptions and Data.
The team is multi-skilled with team members that specialise in analysis, engineering and architecture. This is a senior engineering role using, Scala and Java; the initial focus will be on Scala-based projects, although good java skills are also critical.
You would also lead on and evolve our development standards, CI and CD platforms, testing practices and where appropriate provide expertise to inform the technical architecture. It is a fantastic opportunity for a talented senior software engineer with a keen interest in API’s to learn new skills and mentor platform team members.
Key Role Responsibilities:
- Build shippable software following Engineering standards in place.
- Build and maintain key Engineering blocks that other teams can rely upon (such as APIs and Big Data implementations).
- Ensure the deliveries are on time and of the required quality.
- Follow the Agile methodologies implemented in the Engineering team.
- Help to design and build solid, efficient, stable APIs.
- Help to maintain the high standard of the code by following TDD and BDD.
- Keep up to date with the latest technologies and methodologies to ensure TMG stays ahead of the game.
- Ensure a globally robust and highly scalable approach to development to support our growing number of global users and services.
Key Skills and Experience
- Extensive knowledge of core Java design and development
- Knowledge of Scala and experience of using it in a project
- Passionate about the craft of software development and the delivery of a quality digital product
- Have direct experience of software delivery within a high-traffic, transactional online, digital or media environment
- Experience with software design concepts, practices, modern development methodologies, particularly agile, CI/CD and common architectures
- Demonstrable experience in fast-paced development delivery – that balances frequency and high-quality product
- Strong understanding of Agile practices (TDD, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration...)
- Working knowledge of SOA/microservices (ESB, REST, SOAP, messaging) is desirable
- Experience with API Development build for third parties is desirable
- Experience with API construction using current best practice (defensive coding, Authentication, versioning, documentation) is desirable
- Background in designing and programming on large-scale/distributed systems is desirable
- A strong knowledge of HTML with some front-end development experience
- Knowledge of other languages and frameworks - Node, Python, Play and Spring Boot are an advantage
- Knowledge of cloud technologies and designing applications for IaaS and PaaS cloud environments such as AWS or Google Compute are an advantage, including serverless or Lamba architectures
The Telegraph is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.