Contract Type: Permanent Full Time
Closing Date: 30 September 2018
Salary: Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
The Assistant Comment Editor will help to deliver all aspects of Comment output across print and digital, with a focus online.
• You will help deliver all aspects of the Telegraph's comment desk output across print and digital, but have a particular focus online.
• Lots of ideas to deliver distinctive web-based opinion pieces of high quality in reaction to news events and, especially, political developments throughout the day.
• Planning ahead is essential to produce comment packages around set piece news events.
• Commissioning writers and editing their copy.
• Publishing online copy.
Specific requirements & skills
• Excellent editorial judgement and ability to distinguish quickly between good and bad ideas and pitches.
• Detailed understanding of the political landscape and developing stories.
• A clear idea of what works online and in print.
• Ability to edit and improve copy quickly.
• Experience commissioning and working with comment writers.
• Extensive contacts book of writers.
• Confident headline writer.
• Detailed understand of SEO and social media platforms.
• Some Saturday and Sunday working required.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.