This is a mid-level technical role working in a dynamic team which build and operate high-performance data systems across a range of technologies to drive predictive insights and analytics across all TMG publishing platforms.
It is a hands on role so the candidate is expected to be technical but should also have the confidence to deal with a wide range of stakeholders when needed and will need to work closely with the data science team, business stakeholders, developers and operations.
In return the successful candidate will gain exposure to the full range of technologies in the modern data landscape. It offers fantastic scope for a talented individual with a strong interest in data to broaden their experience.
We are project and innovation driven using mainly the Google stack, Big Query, Python, Talend, Azkaban orchestration, Tableau, Adobe, Business Objects and work hand in hand with data scientists to deliver pro-type data solutions at scale. The right candidate has to be comfortable building and adapting these technologies to deliver the right business outcome.
The team is agile with a combination of technical disciplines which complement one another. This role sits across the team, it’s a great chance to apply a broad range to technical and data concepts to support a world-leading publishing and performance marketing platform.
They are responsible for a Google big data platform, ETL, data warehouse and reporting stack, and several custom services such as a recommendations service based on Google BigQuery, Amazon cloud and internal infrastructure.
Key Role Responsibilities:
- Work closely with TMG’s business intelligence users, operations and development teams on projects and CR’s, encouraging a data driven and pragmatic approach to tackling challenges and problems.
- Provide technical support across the team constantly working to adapt to challenges and propose innovative technical solutions to problems.
- Participating in technical escalation for change and maintenance to TMG’s Google big data platform, ETL (Talend), data warehouse and reporting stack, and several custom services such as a recommendations service based on Google BigQuery, Amazon cloud and internal infrastructure.
- Be a good team player with good communication skills and be able to develop and maintain close links with operational teams who support technology domains, products and projects
- Develop custom services and data pipelines using a range of technologies, SQL and python (and optionally Java)
- Collaborate in the creation, development and maintenance of formal descriptions of company data and data structures, including: data definitions, dictionaries, models, flow diagrams and so on
- Be responsible for maintaining the company’s data assets at required quality levels
- The creation of logical and physical data models for projects and collaborate in forming data administration and governance frameworks.
- Assist the team in ensuring all data requirements are correctly specified including the design of data models, flows, dictionaries, systems and the means to get to the data.
- Assist with data design documentation
- Assist with quality assurance activities for data designs
- The implementation and delivery of data platforms including but not limited to a big data processing platform and semantic web knowledge management (with assistance of peers if needed initially)
- Ongoing research into the evolving data landscape and data technologies that may be relevant to the Telegraph’s business model
Key Skills and Experience:
- Experience of traditional ETL (specifically Talend), and data warehousing technologies
- At least 3 years of experience in data or software development
- Experience of big data platforms personal or private
- Degree in data systems or similar degrees.
- SQL, scripting, relational, BI
- Knowledge of semantic web technologies would be highly valued
- Familiarity with Amazon or google cloud highly valued
- Java experience
- Any analytics or machine learning
- Lucene based search
- Other NoSQL technologies
- Proficiency Python
- Agile development practices
The Telegraph is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.