Contract Type: Permanent Full Time
Closing Date: 23 February 2018
Salary: Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
The Telegraph is recruiting a brand new Technology team for its biggest, most high-impact new journalism initiative in years.
Based in London and California, the brief of the new department is to chronicle through quality journalism the technological revolution going on around us, and to campaign to harness it to ensure that Britain’s society and economy are retooled for the challenges of a new, global era.
We are seeking world-class technology journalists to provide the best, most relevant stories, features and analysis, newsletters, podcasts and videos to expand our audience across all Telegraph platforms.
● Working as part of a brand new team of journalists to produce The Telegraph’s technology content primarily for the website and the newspaper
● Based in London and reporting to the Head of Technology, you will manage a team of reporters to create the very best in technology journalism
● Work to tight deadlines, commissioning and editing breaking stories, features and commentary, live blogs, videos, graphics and Snapchat content
● You will have original ideas for exclusive stories, investigations and campaigns and be able to commission and deliver them
● As a senior member of the team you will have ideas for and take part in Telegraph Technology events
● You will be across the news agenda, have ideas on how to take stories on and generally how improve the quality of Telegraph technology coverage
● You will work with the portal, social media and SEO teams to help promote the technology team’s digital output
● Areas your team will be expected to cover include:
- GAFA (Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple)
- Entrepreneurship, including the London, European and Israeli start-up scenes
- Political technology - use and abuse
- Transport tech (driverless cars and space rockets)
Specific requirements & skills
● Good leadership skills, writing and editing skills, a hunger to learn and improve and finely tuned journalistic instincts
● Have experience of working in a leadership role at a newspaper, news wire, specialist publication or digital environment or be able to demonstrate skills applicable to a leadership role
● Experience of planning and producing agenda-setting content across all platforms.
● Familiar with new technology and its effects on businesses and society
● A strong visual sense and the ability to use video and graphics as well as pictures
● Knowledge of, and experience with, the different types of digital storytelling
● Highly numerically literate - able to turn raw data into a concise news story
The Telegraph is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.