Contract Type: Permanent Part Time
Closing Date: 30 September 2018
Salary: Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
The Legal Secretary will provide support to the Editorial Legal Department.
This will include compiling and maintaining weekly and monthly case reports, processing of payments; litigation and legal file management; liaising with external solicitors and counsel.
Please note: this is a part-time position working Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Please apply with your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role. These two elements should be submitted as one document when the online application asks for your CV.
The main challenge of this role is to maintain and upgrade existing systems that will streamline the effective administrative management of the Editorial Legal department, and to support the team as a whole.
The main purpose of the role is to utilise your legal secretarial skills to provide administrative assistance to the Department. Also ensuring that the key areas below are controlled and that management reports are compiled and delivered in a timely manner, thereby ensuring the effective management of the Editorial Legal Department.
● Preparing court documents; witness statements; letters; preparing bundles for court hearings
● Open and update legal files, litigation file management and databases
● Oversee and ensure usage of system for holiday and absence lists
● Working on your own and using information gathered from departmental emails to produce a weekly “active cases update” for discussion at departmental meeting and assist in preparing a monthly libels provision table and memo with the Head of Editorial Legal
● Administration of invoice system
● Department and litigation Diary management
● Organise and maintain legal locum rotas
● Distribution of Legal Warnings to relevant members of Editorial and Watch list of legal complaints
● Assisting in drafting standard form serialisation contracts and arranging sign off of final contracts
● Transcription of video and audio footage
● General administrative support (booking meeting rooms, ordering stationery, arranging couriers, preparing meeting materials, liaising with IT Helpdesk for any team technical faults)
● Liaising with external solicitors and counsel/counsels clerks. Where necessary filing court documents and communicating with the courts concerning case management/court hearings
Essential skills required for the role
● Previous legal secretarial experience and qualifications
● You will be self motivated, proactive and able to work under your own direction
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Additional skills useful for the role
● Preferably you will have experience of working for a Partner or equivalent
● You should be competent in the use of Microsoft Office and Google Office Systems or have the proven ability to learn quickly
● High typing speed
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.