The Systems Engineer reports directly to the Head of Systems Engineering. As part of the SE team, this role will work embedded directly in our product teams. This position is responsible for collaborating directly with the development teams to facilitate and unblock their sprints, along with working with the rest of the operations team to build our cloud infrastructure. Responsibilities will focus on production support, automation of development environments, tools chains (integration/deployment) as well as our AWS & GCP infrastructure to provide robust, repeatable and resilient solutions.
Key Role Requirements:
- Automate and maintain server provisioning and application deployment
- Releasing products and applications safely into the live production environment.
- Maintain and improve build automation, the supporting systems and applications which comprise the
- build infrastructure.
- Continually improve the speed, efficiency, and scalability of the build processes and infrastructure.
- Create and maintain documentation of the build systems, infrastructure, and processes.
- Manage release and builds with third-party vendors both onshore and offshore
- Validation and gathering of requirements which drive release timelines
- Work directly with development team to facilitate delivery of products
- Guide development streams providing insight into operational best practices
- Passion and commitment to delivering high-quality software
- Must be able to participate in an on-call rota
Key Skills and Experience:
- Experience in an operational role responsible for a large, public-facing website
- Strong understanding of Amazon AWS or Google Cloud Platform products, services, design and architecture
- principles - infrastructure as code: cloudformation / terraform
- Container automation and management : Docker / ECS / Kubernetes
- Strong practical experience with GNU/Linux system administration, application servers, build automation
- and system configuration tools (i.e. Jenkins/Bamboo, Puppet/Chef)
- An understanding of and experience with code stream management and branching models e.g. Gitflow
- Provable practical knowledge of one of: bash / python / node / scala / java
- Ability to identify areas where tasks can be automated/streamlined and see this through
- Experience with relational / non-relational databases and related tools
- Ability to author, communicate, and enforce a solid understanding of release engineering best practices
- including security and automated recovery
- Strong problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- Ability and willingness to work in demanding, highly collaborative environment
- Ability to balance operational and development requirements to deliver stable products
- Mentoring experience
The Telegraph is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.