Personal Assistant (Support Worker)
Our Personal Assistants support people to lead full, active and socially connected lives, supporting people to achieve the things that matter to them.
Applicants should have, or be willing to work towards, a qualification meeting the standards required for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC).
A young man who is supported on a 2:1 basis 24/7 by a team of 10 Personal Assistants has a vacancy. This position is for 30 hours per week, and waking nights are part of the service. The young man lives in Craigmillar, Edinburgh.
Please note that a driving licence is essential for this position.
About this opportunity
- The young man lives in his own home and has a regular schedule of weekday activities that he requires support to attend. He has autism and a learning disability. He requires support with personal care but with the ongoing encouragement of his team he is learning to do more of this himself.
- He is very active, loves listening to music, shopping, doing puzzles, going to the cinema, visiting the museum and other tourist attractions.
- He loves being in his car and going places. He is very energetic, engaging but does require a consistent approach from the team, and support and structure to allow him to develop and benefit from a wide range of positive life experiences.
- He uses PECS (symbols) to communicate and his team have developed an activities folder which has helped him to express more of his wishes, needs and choices on his own.
- He helps his team with the housework and cooking.
- His parents are close to him and visit regularly.
Previous experience is not necessary. Your personal values and your life experiences that you can bring to the role are more important. Thistle has a reputation of providing outstanding training and support that is ongoing throughout your career with us.
- Do you have enthusiasm for supporting people expand their horizons and try new things?
- Will you understand him and get to know his routine?
- Are you responsible, respectful and able to use your initiative and work well with a team?
- Are you motivated and able to remain calm and handle situations that this young man might find stressful?
If you would like an informal chat about this vacancy please contact Judith.firstname.lastname@example.org or Jackie.Deans@thistle.org.uk
Please click here for the full job description.
Job ref: MT213
What we offer
We are committed to supporting you to develop your skills as a practitioner and creating career development opportunities. At Thistle, you will have access to sector-leading training courses and be supported to achieve your SVQ level 3 in Health & Social Care accreditation.
- Starting salary at £10.57 per hour (£21,435.96 FTE) and rising to £11.07 per hour (£22,449.96 FTE)
- £500 welcome payment for contracted employees
- Fantastic training (on full pay)
This includes enhanced learning in person-centred practice, leadership skills, IT and other bespoke training courses.
- SSSC registration paid for by Thistle
- Support to achieve SVQ Level 3 in Health & Social Care
- Support from regular meetings with your team, Lead Practitioner or Coach
- Contributory pension scheme
- Non-contributory death in service benefit scheme
- 30 days of annual leave, increasing by 1 day/year up to 35 days
- Free Thistle Gym membership
- Membership of the HSF Health Plan
- Refer a Friend scheme, paying £250 for successfully referring someone to work with us