Personal Assistant (Support Worker)
Our Personal Assistants support people to lead full, active and socially connected lives, supporting people to achieve the things that matter to them.
Applicants should have, or be willing to work towards, a qualification meeting the standards required for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC).
We have a vacancy for a male or female Personal Assistant to join a team of PAs who support a very busy man who lives with his beloved cat in his own home in Craigmillar, Edinburgh. This position is for 15 hours per week.
A driving licence is essential for this role as he has his own car. Sleepovers will be included as part of the service.
About this opportunity
- This gentleman needs a level of assistance with everyday tasks such as shopping, cooking and housework.
- He likes to be able to do as much as possible from the confines of his wheelchair, and will work with you to prepare meals, clean his home etc. He does require more support with personal care.
- He works 2 days a week at Ikea, and if you are successful in your application you would be expected to undertake an Ikea induction as well as the requisite Thistle Foundation training.
- He is also an active volunteer at Thistle and is involved in our induction programmes.
- As well as his job he has a very active social life and has regular nights out as well as hosting friends at his home.
- He is close to his family and visits weekly. He is a confirmed music lover and not only listens to music but also produces some and he has a radio broadcasting licence too. He likes weekends away in Blackpool and aspires to have a holiday at his family’s villa in Spain with the support of his team.
- Due to Covid-19, some activities/opportunities have been put on hold, but this doesn’t stop him staying involved with various classes online and keeping in touch in friends/family virtually.
- Support is provided 7 days a week. This vacancy is for one shift per week, starting at 9am followed by a sleepover and to 9am the next day. However, there may be opportunities for additional shifts to cover other members of the team at other times of the day/week. Part of the contracted hours will also include admin time e.g. work on rotas/updating My Life My support plans, arranging meetings and taking minutes so basic IT skills are required.
- Experience/knowledge of cerebral palsy would be advantageous, but full training will be given.
If you would like an informal chat about this vacancy please contact Sophie.Dolan@thistle.org.uk
Please click here for the full job description.
Job ref: KD214
What we offer
We are committed to supporting you to develop your skills as a practitioner and creating career development opportunities. At Thistle, you will have access to sector-leading training courses and be supported to achieve your SVQ level 3 in Health & Social Care accreditation.
- Starting salary at £10 per hour (£20,280.00 FTE) and rising to £10.50 per hour (£22,510.80 FTE)
- Fantastic training (on full pay)
This includes enhanced learning in person-centred practice, leadership skills, IT and other bespoke training courses.
- SSSC registration paid for by Thistle
- Support to achieve SVQ Level 3 in Health & Social Care
- Support from regular meetings with your team, Lead Practitioner or Coach
- Contributory pension scheme
- Non-contributory death in service benefit scheme
- 30 days of annual leave, increasing by 1 day/year up to 35 days
- Free Thistle Gym membership
- Membership of the HSF Health Plan
- Refer a Friend scheme, paying £250 for successfully referring someone to work with us