Senior Project Manager - Highways / Civil Engineering
About The Role CIQHP
We have a new opportunity for an experienced Project Manager with strong commercial acumen, to lead technical research and consultancy projects across the civil engineering & highways domain. The projects delivered by TRL range in size and complexity from multi-million turn-key implementations to week long research activity. The position holds accountability for ensuring the technical delivery teams deliver projects to deadline and customer satisfaction, and present the opportunity to play a key delivery role on projects across the surface transport domain that will impact lives and deliver efficiencies.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
- Manage people and project teams to ensure projects are delivered to cost and timeframe, whilst promoting effective teamwork among project team members.
- Ensure bids are produced, reviewed and successfully delivered to the client on time.
- Manage change appropriately within projects to reduce impacts on time and costs, and manage client expectations
- Build and maintain effective relationships with a defined set of key clients with a cross-business footprint, based on trust, effective management and timely delivery
- Drive project teams to be more efficient and deliver projects quicker than the anticipated profiles.
- Act as the key interface between the client and all relevant business divisions and other key stakeholders.
- Lead or participate in contract negotiations
- Assess and manage risks, including health and safety and data security issues
- Develop and execute ongoing communications at all levels of the business to ensure customer expectations are being met and to identify new opportunities
- Create demand for TRL’s products and services by raising our profile with key clients
- Ensure appropriate communication and escalation of project-related matters with Senior Management
- Ensure all bids and projects are fully compliant with TRL’s quality procedures, and project documentation is comprehensive and up to date
- Manage ongoing liaison with other colleagues to ensure that customers are receiving best-in-class service
- Make effective use of the Salesforce system to capture client intelligence, activity and opportunities.
Skills & Experience
- Must be able to demonstrate experience and expertise in the delivery of commercial projects to budget and timescale, with knowledge of project management best practice and principles.
- Domain expertise within Civil Engineering, Highways, or Utilities.
- A good understanding of change management and the management of risk.
- Previous experience working on several projects concurrently – working with multiple stakeholders.
- Formal Project Management credentials (APM / Prince2 / PMI PMP)
- Knowledge of formal contract frameworks such as NEC3/4 highly desirable.
Eligible candidates must be able to demonstrate fluency in both verbal and written English with strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills.
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Support for professional memberships and study
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package (including child care vouchers, discounted gym membership etc.)