Knowledge Discipline Supervisor - Vehicle & Infrastructure Technologies
About The Role CIQHP
The Knowledge Discipline Supervisor provides line management and oversight in the Vehicle & Infrastructure Technologies team, assisting the Knowledge Discipline Lead to ensure that the staff within the discipline are well managed, feel valued and subscribe to the TRL Mission, Vision and Company Values. The role will have a fee earning element of ~70%.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
- Create and nurture a culture of trust and accountability within the Vehicle & Infrastructure Technologies discipline, ensuring that all individuals understand how their roles contribute to delivering to the company Mission and Vision.
- Contribute to Business Development and Technical content for tenders and enable others within the team to do so.
- Ensure the resource level in the Vehicle & Infrastructure Technologies discipline is appropriate for the forecast Project and Service delivery effort programmed ahead and for future opportunities within the pipeline. This includes direct staff only.
- Effectively manage staff performance, ensuring all staff have meaningful objectives against the companies values, behaviours and Strategic Plan. Measure and manage individual objectives so they are met and that inadequate performance is appropriately actioned.
- Ensure the delivery of quality research and consultancy outputs aligned with the project scope, whilst also ensuring that the discipline staff do not ‘over-deliver’ against the requirement. Collaborate with the Senior Project Managers and PM’s to hold individuals to account.
- Ensure staff and management are well communicated to. With staff this will entail promulgation of business information for the Company on a periodic basis, ensuring a high level of engagement with the team. Communicate upwards to senior management on escalation items, resource constraints and strategic plans, enabling fast decision making. Carry out regular (at least monthly) 121’s with Direct staff, in which actions and issues are recorded.
- Embody the TRL values and be an ambassador for the company.
- Identify areas for recruitment to the Knowledge Discipline Lead.
- Ensure, through adequate controls and review procedures that Technical delivery is on time and the technical quality is at a sustainably high level.
- Work closely with the other Knowledge Discipline Supervisors to actively utilise a broad range of skills across projects, encouraging less specialist staff to experience other areas of Technical or Functional, to broaden their knowledge and round their overall business experience and skillset.
Skills & Experience
- Excellent communication skills, including client stakeholder management
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, high quality technical reports and proposals.
- Technical area of competence, relevant to the managed Discipline
- Deeper technical knowledge within the Vehicle & Infrastructure Technologies discipline.
- Experience managing multidisciplinary consultancy teams to a high level of utilisation.
- Educated to degree level in a related engineering or science discipline.
- Previous formal management training and/or chartered status would be desirable.
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Support for professional memberships and study
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package