Field Services Supervisor (Materials Laboratory)
About The Role CIQHP
The Laboratory Supervisor provides line management and oversight in the Materials Laboratory, assisting the Field Services Lead to ensure that the staff in the Laboratory are well managed, feel valued and subscribe to the TRL Mission, Vision and Company Values. The role will have a fee earning element of ~70%.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
- Create and nurture a culture of trust and accountability within the Laboratory, ensuring that all individuals understand how their roles contribute to delivering to the company Mission and Vision.
- Contribute to Business Development and Technical content for tenders and enable others within the team to do so.
- Ensure the resource level in the Laboratory is appropriate for the forecast Project and Service delivery effort programmed ahead and for future opportunities within the pipeline.
- Effectively manage staff performance in the Laboratory, ensuring all staff have meaningful objectives against the companies values, behaviours and Strategic Plan. Measure and manage individual objectives so they are met and that inadequate performance is appropriately actioned.
- Ensure the timely delivery of laboratory outputs aligned with the service and project scope, whilst also ensuring that the laboratory staff do not ‘over-deliver’ against the requirement, holding individuals to account as required.
- Ensure staff and management are well communicated to. With staff this will entail promulgation of business information for the Company on a periodic basis, ensuring a high level of engagement with the team. Communicate upwards to senior management on escalation items, resource constraints and strategic plans, enabling fast decision making. Carry out regular (at least monthly) 121’s with Direct staff, in which actions and issues are recorded.
- Embody the TRL values and be an ambassador for the company.
- Identify areas for recruitment to the Field Services Lead.
- Ensure, through adequate controls and review procedures that service delivery is on time and the technical quality is at a sustainably high level.
- Work closely with the other Services and Knowledge Discipline Supervisors to actively utilise a broad range of skills across services and projects, encouraging less specialist staff to experience other areas of Technical or Functional activity, to broaden their knowledge and round their overall business experience and skillset.
- Work with Facilities Management and Compliance to maintain UKAS accreditation with the Scope of accreditation aligned to the Strategic Plan.
- Work closely with Field Services Lead to develop, expand and improve delivery of Services in the Laboratory
Skills & Experience
- Excellent communication skills, including client stakeholder management
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, high quality technical reports and proposals.
- Knowledge and understanding of Material Laboratory testing standards and methodology
- Deeper technical knowledge in material science.
- Experience managing services teams to a high level of utilisation.
- Educated to degree level in an engineering or science discipline.
- Previous formal management training and/or chartered status would be desirable.
At TRL we offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Support for professional memberships and study
- 25 days annual leave
- Life Assurance cover and Group Income Protection
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible benefits package