End User Compute Architect
The End User Compute Architect will be responsible for the design, development and roadmap of the technology the firm's employees use to access the required systems and data. The responsibilities include the Microsoft 365 suite including Exchange-Online, Microsoft Teams, OneDrive for Business, Windows 10 and InTune. The role will also be responsible for the client side software used within the firm such as Microsoft Office and associated Add-In's such as iManage, Enterprise Vault, Adobe etc. The role will also be responsible for the mobile device strategy as well as the end user hardware portfolio.
The End User Compute Architect will be responsible for setting the standards, patterns and principles that apply to all of the technology in their EUC portfolio either on-premise or cloud hosted. This includes both tools that are being used and those being proposed to be deployed for use within the firm. Expected to be a champion of the firm's cloud strategy the EUC Architect will become a key role as Walkers staff and Walkers clients start to work in a more mobile way. The role will look at the existing portfolio of applications in this space and work with the CTO to define what the future state of the digital workplace looks like and further understand the underlying processes that they support. The role holder will be expected to have a deep understanding of how applications should be designed and deployed across a globally distributed user base. Knowledge of the Microsoft eco-system such as Microsoft Teams, Exchange Server, AzureAD, Active Directory and Windows Desktop is essential, as is in-depth knowledge of both Microsoft 365 and Enterprise Mobile Management technologies. The End User Compute Architect will also be expected to have a full understanding of Enterprise Architecture as a function and how it drives simplification and efficiencies within the business.
The End User Compute Architect will report to the CTO, and will need to be consultative in their specialist areas to all areas of the business. The EUC Architect will be expected to have the aptitude to quickly understand new and emerging technologies. The role will also be required to assist in selecting suppliers involved in any other the assigned project deliverables. The End User Compute should have experience of creating and working with Enterprise Architecture artefacts.
- Take over the Architectural oversight of the existing Exchange 2016 to Exchange-Online migration project to ensure the success of the project. This will include the migration of existing mail archives and reviewing email retention policies and procedures.
- Own the design, governance, principles and strategy for the Walkers SaaS/PaaS technologies especially the Microsoft 365 suite of technologies.
- Own the firm's digital workplace portfolio and their forward-looking strategy including Windows 10, Microsoft Office, iOS Apps, email, chat messaging, document sharing and coauthoring as well as mobile management.
- Clear owner of the hardware selection process used in the End User space such as laptops, desktops, mobile phones, web cams and headsets.
- Work alongside the rest of the Strategy & Architecture team to build an overall technology vision and strategy for the firm to adopt over number of years.
- Help champion modern IT practices and ways of working to the wider IT department.
- Ensure that all strategy, architecture, standards, patterns, principles and roadmaps are kept current and fully understood by all relevant teams within the firm.
- Create and maintain architectural documentation as artefacts that relate to network topology, architectural designs, patterns, principles and standards and technology selection.
- Create and own the firm’s standard non-functional requirements for all digital workplace technologies.
- Continual research on new software and working practices to remain abreast of developments in across the IT industry in multiple verticals and not just Legal.
- Advise and architect designs to ensure their smooth deployment and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience as an architect responsible for multiple disciplines in the End User Compute space such as Exchange, Teams, OneDrive for Business, Windows 10, Microsoft Office InTune and VoIP technologies.
- Thorough knowledge of how business applications integrate and support wide areas of a global organisation.
- Hands on and design experience of collaboration technology in M365 leveraging services like OneDrive for Business, Teams, InTune etc
- Experience of Windows 10 deployment and management in a global Enterprise organisation.
- Experience in managing global applications and deploying services to be consumed by multiple users that are geographically spread.
- Experience in designing and deploying Exchange on premise and hybrid including configuring modern authentication and AzureAD Connect and Conditional Access.
- Experience of working with Microsoft 365 AIP and DLP technologies.
- Ability to adapt, learn and integrate with new and existing legal orientated applications from traditional legal technology vendors such as InTapp, iManage and Aderant.
- Experience of supplier and product management including being part of RFI's and RFP's
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Minimum 10 Years in IT, 5 Years in an Architectural role
- University degree in Computer Science or other relevant discipline or 10 Years IT experience
- Ideally, ToGAF 9 or higher certified.
- Microsoft 365 Fundamentals Certified
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability and willingness to occasionally work outside normal working hours/days when requested.
- Decisive and confident in one’s own ability and recommendations
- An understanding that occasional international business travel will be necessary
- Strong written, oral and presentation communication skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to present ideas and proposals in user-friendly language
- A passion for network and communication technologies continually staying up to date and evaluating where new technology can add value to the business.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Trusted advisor with the ability to step in and help support teams in advice and consultancy when necessary.
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a geographically dispersed team-oriented, collaborative environment.