Associate - Regulatory & Risk Advisory
Walkers' Regulatory & Risk Advisory practice group offers Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Irish and Jersey law advice on regulatory matters on a global basis. Our team comprises dedicated specialist financial regulatory and risk management advisory lawyers. We bring insight obtained from having worked inside various national regulators, including the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority, the British Virgin Islands Financial Services Commission, the UK Financial Conduct Authority and the Central Bank of Ireland, and as in-house global financial institution regulatory counsel as well as in international private practice.
We regularly advise non-regulated and regulated financial institutions including a wide range of businesses in the banking, insurance, investment fund, fiduciary and securities investment sectors. Our team also offers significant experience of advising on a wide range of FinTech matters.
The opportunity is for a specialist financial regulatory lawyer to join the Regulatory & Risk Advisory practice group as an Associate in our Hong Kong office.
SCOPE AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise clients on existing and new financial regulations which impact the Cayman Islands, BVI and Bermuda, including both domestic and international measures.
- Articulate those changes to a variety of practices and assist the Firm's Asia and Middle East clients in developing their strategic response to those changes.
- Work closely with the other members of Regulatory & Risk Advisory practice group, as well as with regulators and other agencies and policy makers in relation to financial industry reforms.
- Communicate key financial regulatory updates and client alerts.
- Work with the other members of the Regulatory & Risk Advisory practice group in developing products and services in the regulatory area to offer prompt and clear advice to help our clients determine how best to maintain compliance with relevant regulations, licensing requirements, marketing restrictions and reporting requirements.
- Assist with regulatory enforcement matters such as advice on potential exposure/implications of an investigation/enquiry, negotiating settlement agreements and defending and advising on enforcement actions and court appeals.
- Assist with the establishment, maintenance and delegation of relevant procedures, risk management systems, controls and training.
- Provide technically sound advice and highly responsive service to clients.
- Assist in developing and expanding client relationships important to the Firm’s success at the same time becoming a valued resource to clients.
- Support colleagues, senior counsel and partners on matters important to the Firm.
- Use of the global network to build the Firm resources.
- Maintain a sustained record of revenue generation and profitability; follow recommended billing rates; manage costs appropriately; ensure personal utilization meets expectations.
- Adhere to Firm's values and professional ethics and proactively seek resolution of conflicts
- Participate in the development of the practice’s know-how, share knowledge, and occasionally participate in conferences, seminars and internal training.
Key Skills and Qualifications
- Qualified commonwealth lawyer with a minimum of four years of post-qualifying financial regulatory experience at an international law firm.
- In depth experience of a range of financial regulatory measures.
- Experience of FATCA and CRS an advantage.
- Excellent academics with top level international experience.
- Ambitious and commercially driven.
- Solid legal skills with competent understanding of relevant market and client industries and technical knowledge of the relevant law.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment, a team player, willing to support others regardless of personal role or task and to help others in identifying needs and crafting development plans.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Offshore jurisdiction experience and/or familiarity with offshore financial service providers preferred.
- Ability to use legal precedents and timekeeping and billing systems.
- Ability to support efforts to attract new clients and develop new initiatives.
- Chinese language skills an advantage.