FINANCIAL ACCOUNTANT (HONG KONG)
Walkers is a leading international law firm, advising on the laws of Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Ireland and Jersey. The Hong Kong office is one of the largest of the offshore law firms in the Asia-Pacific region and is looking to further expand its Finance Support team.
To be the leading international financial services law firm in the market, we aim to recruit, retain and develop the best people in the market. As we believe our people are our competitive advantage, we invite applications from suitable qualified and experience persons for the role of Financial Accountant.
The Financial Accountant will report directly to the Head of Finance Support Asia and will assist with the management and day-to-day running of the finance support function of Walkers (Hong Kong). The successful candidate will contribute in a meaningful way to the accomplishment of the finance support departments' objectives, which support the firm’s high performance culture.
- Manage the monthly billing function including write offs and reversals, perform analysis on draft bills and AR/Funds held on accounts, monitor client accounts, reports on fees billed and WIP reports.
- Preparing monthly management accounts ensuring accurate and timely delivery and presentation of financial results
- Completing monthly reconciliations and analysis of balance sheet accounts and presenting findings to the Head of Finance Support
- Review intercompany reconciliations on a monthly basis ensuring that any differences are addressed and corrected in a timely manner
- Assist in planning, preparing and managing the annual budget process of the firm.
- Manage the audit engagement with the external auditors ensuring timely completion of the annual audit engagement and corporation tax return obligations.
- Liaise with the Law Society reporting accountant annually to ensure timely completion and filing of the report with the Hong Kong Law Society
- Prepare monthly update for HR of employee reimbursements payroll purposes.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are maintained and contribute in a meaningful way to process improvement initiatives and projects
- Motivate and manage team members to ensure team goals are achieved
- Ad-hoc duties and projects
- Manage a team of three staff members on a day-to-day financial and accounting operation.
Qualifications and experience:
- An internationally recognised professional accounting qualification (CA, HKICPA, CPA) with minimum of 3-5 years post qualification experience, preferably in auditing/professional firm or other legal/professional sector. Experience in a financial control function and auditing would be ideal.
- In-depth understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles, specifically detailed knowledge of International Accounting Standards.
- Prior experience operating in finance department of an international law firm is an asset.
- Excellent English and Chinese communication skills and be able to communicate internally and externally both written and verbally.
- Must also be able to work accurately, paying close attention to detail as a second point of contact, particularly during times of pressure, with the ability to effectively manage workloads and meet deadlines.
- Strong skills in using MS Office suite of applications. Advanced Excel skills are required.
- Excellent communicator both oral and written and focused on building and maintaining excellent working relationships across the firm
- Ability to develop and improve working procedures and processes
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with strong attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem solving abilities with an ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Demonstrated leadership
- The core responsibilities listed above provide a high level overview of the requirements of the role. However, these may be subject to change depending on business needs and flexibility will be required.