Associate (Insolvency and Dispute Resolution)
Walkers is offering a unique opportunity to an ambitious and technically strong lawyer to join its market leading Insolvency and Dispute Resolution team ("IDR") business, and to assist building out its London IDR practice so as to become the leading practice in the region.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the Walkers IDR team in London practicing BVI and Cayman law, working closely with our teams in BVI and Cayman. Due to the importance of the London market to our offering the role will also include the opportunity to raise the profile of the team in the London market through business development and marketing initiatives. The team is growing and progression opportunities are good.
SCOPE AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advising a varied client base which includes insolvency practitioners, banks and other financial institutions, corporates, creditors, directors and shareholders on both contentious and non-contentious corporate recovery and insolvency matters;
- Working on extensive commercial litigation and dispute resolution matters;
- Interpreting, analysing and advising clients on relevant case law and legislation;
- Proactively assist in developing and expanding client relationships important to the Firm’s success at the same time becoming a valued resource to clients. This will involve taking ownership of the development of relationships with core clients.
- Participate in the development of the practice’s know-how, share knowledge and actively participate in conferences, seminars and internal training.
- Provide technically sound advice and highly responsive service to clients, and support colleagues, senior counsel and partners on all client matters.
- Maintain a sustained record of revenue generation and profitability; follow recommended billing rates; manage costs appropriately; ensure personal utilisation meets expectations.
- Adhere to Firm's values and professional ethics and proactively seek resolution of conflicts.
Key Skills and Qualifications
- Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 5-6 years PQE qualification experience in insolvency and / or commercial litigation in a recognised practice.
- Excellent academics.
- Ambitious and commercially driven.
- Solid legal skills with competent understanding of relevant market and client industries and technical knowledge of the relevant law.
- An ability to analyse legislation and provide advice in a practical manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment, a team player, willing to support others regardless of personal role or task and to help others in identifying needs and crafting development plans.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Familiarity with offshore financial service providers preferred but not essential.
- Ability to use legal precedents and timekeeping and billing systems.
- Ability to support efforts to attract new clients and develop new initiatives.
- Attention to detail.