Job Description: Banner Group CSR and Social Value Manager
Division: Banner Merchandise
Reports To: Merchandise and Marketing Director
Based: Home and Office locations as needed
Banner is the UK’s largest business supplies and services company to both the public and private sectors. We provide facilities & PPE, technology, furniture, printed goods, managed print services and office stationery. We partner with companies both large and small, tailoring our approach to suit each workplace. Our customers trust us to deliver real business benefits that have a positive impact on our environment and communities. Our close consultative approach, combined with an industry-leading logistical capability, enables us to reduce costs, minimise waste and offer an excellent customer experience. We aim at all times to be the partner that:
Business Leaders trust, that Buyers recommend and that Employees value.
As part of the EVO Group we are the UK’s no. 1 distributor in our sector with a stock holding in excess of £50m. We have over 350 fleet vehicles, making over 18,000 deliveries per day. We pick over 100,000 lines per day in our 650,0000 plus square feet of warehousing.
We are looking for a candidate to join our team and contribute to delivering Banner’s commitment to CSR, sustainability and social value. This is a fantastic opportunity for the successful candidate to continue to develop, expand and implement the existing Banner Evolution program.
The role is presently based at home as we are still operating under COVID-19 restrictions, but the occasional trip to the office and to customer locations would be required to conduct the role fully. It would be important to be flexible towards travel and it is ideal if the candidate lives within reasonable travel distance of one of the main distribution sites based at Lutterworth or Normanton.
The role reports into the Merchandising and Marketing Director who is based in the north of England and works flexibly across a number of Banner locations – but usually from Normanton.
The CSR and Social Value manager will work cross functionally within the Banner business. They will develop, extend, coordinate and execute the strategies and will have a tangible impact on the implementation of sustainability and corporate social responsibility initiatives, both internally and externally. There will be special focus on environmental and social value initiatives so that their main development activities will be based around of a couple of the Banner Evolution program pillars in particular - Our Environment and Our Community
Banner acts as an advisor to customers and seeks to advise and lead clients on how they can develop a more sustainable approach to their procurement activities, how to manage and reduce their carbon footprints and how to ensure social value is generated. The candidate will need to be comfortable working cross functionally with Banner and Evo Group colleagues as well as with customers directly. The key objective will be to develop strategies and roadmaps that contain detailed action plans to achieve targets and objectives. It will also be key to be confident in using calculation tools, with data gathering, performing in depth analysis, with monitoring and reporting. The CSR and Social Value Manager will work in conjunction with our customer base to ensure that the programs and initiatives at Banner are in line with customer demand and that it is easy for them to report on and respond to their own CSR/Sustainability activities.
Summary of Role Responsibilities:
- To increase Social Value enterprise at Banner by researching, recommending, implementing and managing new sustainability and social value initiatives that can be implemented across Banner and wider Evo Group. This will include building relationships with supplier partners, internal stakeholders and internal/external partner agencies.
- To refine and implement improvement procedures in order to minimise environmental impacts and support Banner's sustainability goals – to regularly review and implement continuous improvement activities.
- To agree, monitor, manage and publish the annual CSR targets, to update the wider business on a monthly basis and maintain the Banner Evolution dashboard to the wider business. To support Marketing department in the maintenance of the Banner CSR Micro Site housed on BannerUK.com.
- To develop and write an annual CSR report that provides clear direction on achievements, on future strategy, updates on progress and performance. Work with Marketing department to have this published and circulated each year.
- To support the Commercial and Bids/Tenders team with advice and content to be used in responses to tender questions, RFPs and supplier assessments/questionnaires.
- To be responsible for the Ecovadis assessment and accreditation.
- To prepare and present the Banner Evolution program to customers in shortlist and review meetings. In addition, to create a training and education program that equips all staff to be well versed and confident to represent Banner Evolution program to customers.
- To continually review competitor propositions in respect of sustainability and social value. To ensure that our Banner Evolution offering is at least as good if not better than our competitors.
- On Banner branded products - to work with internal and external stakeholders to assess and reduce risk by ensuring all products comply fully with legal requirements, customer requirements and relevant accreditations.
- To manage supplier audits and product risk assessments to support the above and for the ‘Banner Only’ supplier base. To support a regular cadence of testing, to provide guidance and to select high risk products for spot checks and audits.
- Within Banner operations to improve and ensure compliance with relevant standards – e.g. FSC and PEFC chain of custody standards.
- To establish a mechanism and strategy to engage employees, customers and suppliers. To support the likely future contract requests, to influence and direct the strategic thinking and engagement of all wider stakeholders to ascertain future areas for investment and resource within the Evolution program.
- To influence other key departments – such as facilities management and warehouse operational teams so they are aligned with the company sustainability and social value goals.
- To influence and ensure that the Evo Group company policies relating to the environment, our people, the community and our supply chain meet legal and commercial requirements at all times.
- To support the continuation of Evo Group ISO 14001 (EMS) accreditation and all relevant sustainability initiatives.
- Subject matter related accreditations or qualifications such as PIEMA (Practitioner Member of Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment), NEBOSH (Environmental Management Diploma) or Certification as a Sustainability Practitioner.
- Clear demonstration of a passion for furthering the sustainability and social value agendas.
- Experience of implementing responsible and ethical sourcing and sustainability initiatives and appropriate company codes of practice across a diverse range of skus and suppliers.
- Experience of supply chain monitoring/ audit procedures and product assessments.
- Ability to conduct carbon footprint and greenhouse gas emissions measuring, monitoring and reduction activities in line with requirements of customers and Evo Group.
- Detailed knowledge of environmental legal requirements e.g. WEEE, ROHS, REACH, UK Timber Regulations and Packaging Directives.
- Energy & waste management and legislative compliance.
- A self-starter who is willing to tackle new challenges bringing a positive ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Strong organisational skills and a ‘completer-finisher’.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Resourceful with a creative approach to problem solving.
- Good negotiating and interpersonal skills to facilitate key stakeholder communications and to build strong supplier and partner relationships.
- Ability to be proactive and work alone as well as part of cross functional teams.
- Numerate, analytical and ability to handle data sets and draw conclusions from findings.
- Ability to project-manage tasks to completion.