Subject Matter Expert, Traction Power and High Voltage Systems – California High Speed Rail
Network Rail Consulting is an international rail consultancy, offering unrivalled expertise in getting more out of legacy infrastructure, operating in a closely monitored market and continuously upgrading an active, heavily used rail system. What makes us different from other consultants is that we have genuine hands-on experience in solving the challenges you face in the real world of operating railways. NRC's offices in the US include Boston, New York and Washington DC.
We are now looking for an experienced traction power & high voltage system expert responsible for mentoring, guiding and providing technical support to our High-Speed Rail Systems project team in the US. Technical support will include the areas of product specification, system design compliance and approval, construction, acceptance, maintenance and operation of traction power and high voltage utility connections (115/230Kv) and all related interfaces. The chosen candidate will be expected to provide project and day to day contract management for all high voltage connection contracts with utility providers. A key requirement will be to Embed the new ways of working to make improvements sustainable and support our client to meet their business targets.
- Working as part of the integrated High-Speed Rail Systems project team to deliver a high-speed rail system which meets the business requirements established by the California High Speed Rail Authority.
- Interpret business requirements and develop performance requirements for the Rail Systems specification in compliance with statute, system design, national and international standards and best industry practice.
- Provide advice and guidance on development of new or modified high voltage systems or equipment for use on project infrastructure so that the systems specification remains at the forefront of industry in terms of safety, technology and performance.
- Provide specialist technical guidance and support to the product acceptance process for high voltage systems equipment and components.
- As discipline lead for Traction Power and High Voltage systems provide technical support to other engineers within the High-Speed Rail Systems project team and to others within the wider project team to ensure that specialist advice is available as required.
- Establish technical content for high voltage system standards for the project.
- Review, as directed, the overall performance, safety and compatibility of project high voltage systems and provide structured feedback where necessary.
- Contribute to the development of project requests for proposal (RFPs) and to the evaluation of proposals from contractors/subcontractors.
- Monitor contractual commitments to check that work is being performed in accordance with specifications, drawings and terms of contract.
- Manage the HV connection contracts for feasibility, engineering and permitting, advanced procurement, design and build and engineering oversight, either directly or via management of a wider team.
- Update Design Criteria Manual chapters for traction power and high voltage systems for incorporation into future contracts.
- Interface with right of way, environmental and other relevant high-speed rail departments to facilitate the HV connection contracts.
- Interface with regulatory organizations as required.
- Manage the HV systems interface with adjoining railroad entities.
Key Performance Indicators
- Attendance and active contribution to High Speed Rail Systems project team meetings.
- Development and acceptance of appropriate technical content and strategies.
- Compliance with procedural and legislative requirements.
- Effective communication of technical content and strategies.
- Tasks and projects are completed within prescribed timeframes and budgets.
- Contractors/subcontractors complete deliverables as per the contract.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Strong background in high voltage systems – ideally within a railway environment.
- Plan and deliver appropriate systems to understand future demand, emerging technologies and areas for improvement.
- Manage third parties so that service levels are met.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, industry and company standards.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Incorporated Engineer working towards Chartered status.
- Engineering management experience involving technical and business risk assessment.
- Project Management experience involving schedule and budgets
- Contract and procurement experience
- Membership of a professional body
- Relevant professional qualifications.
- Chartered Engineer.
- Knowledge of international standards and practices.
- High Speed Rail experience.