The Platform Controller is a shift-based role that is responsible for ensuring continuity of service in the Playout area's live sport multi-service environment; managing a multi-platform delivery service, including direct to home, IPTV and streaming for both SIS and client services.
This role requires excellent attention to detail with the ability to take responsibility in making split-second directorial decisions that directly affect service output. A thorough end to end knowledge of technical operations within a Playout environment would be an advantage, along with an adaptable and customer focused approach.
The Platform Controller will be working closely with a client Producer to ensure the content is tailored to the client’s requirements.
Reporting Lines and Key Relationships
The role reports to the Platform Supervisor
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Oversee the control of the automated transmission system, monitoring for quality and continuity of service across multiple playouts.
- Operate production guidelines of multiple services, directing and manually influencing output where necessary.
- Managing and implementing transmission schedules with accuracy.
- Logging of fault occurrences.
- First line fault diagnosis and liaising with the Technical Support, Data Operations, MCR and Platform Supervision team to ensure effective problem resolution.
- Assist in training of team members to competent level of understanding of Playout systems.
- Operate within current OFCOM regulations.
- Ensure that the best interests of SIS are upheld at all times.
- Provide high quality and timely delivery of duties.
- Operate within the legal and regulatory framework.
- Central point of communication for data and contribution feed information. Relaying information to all client production facilities and MCR.
- Initial setup of CAP picture distribution – assigning feeds and rem mapping for vision and audio – this setup feeds into all client CAP operations.
- Ensure interactions with Customers remain professional and best represent the values of SIS.
- Develop a harmonious, effective working environment for colleagues.
- Ability to effectively communicate problems and solutions to relevant parties.
- Identify new ideas and processes as well as providing input for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of existing processes.
Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience in a live broadcast environment.
- A well-versed knowledge of the production guidelines of multiple services, with an ability to direct and manually influence output where necessary.
- Understanding of end-to-end contribution, production and distribution chain for both data and pictures.
- Strong knowledge of broadcast technical operations, including fundamentals of audio and video theory and production techniques.
- An in-depth operational knowledge of IT and Broadcast equipment.
- Experience of transmission control within a multi-service Playout operation.
- Knowledge of current OFCOM regulations.
- The ability to troubleshoot audio/video problems, comprehension of equipment and techniques in the area of broadcast hardware and automation systems.
- Good level of PC literacy.
- A calm and methodical approach, combined with the ability to quickly react to changing circumstances and to work well under pressure.
- Concentration, mental stamina and focus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to work autonomously.
- A keen attention to detail and focus on accuracy.
- An ability to remain composed in a high-pressure environment
- An interest in Sport / Sports Broadcasting – Horse and dog racing knowledge would be an advantage.
- Committed to continuous improvement and personal development.